Cleveland Housing Court Specialists
Housing Specialists are court employees with expertise in and knowledge about laws that affect housing issues, mediation, the eviction process, community concerns and complaints, home repairs, housing renovation, housing inspections, and the criminal housing court process. Housing Court Specialists are considered Probation Officers and Mediators and receive extensive training from the Ohio Supreme Court.
Housing Specialists are NOT attorneys and CANNOT offer legal advice or representation. They CAN, however, provide landlords, tenants, and property owners with information about the law and court procedures. The specialists also operate the Cleveland Housing Court Clinic.
The Clinic operates on the first floor of the Justice Center from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. A Spanish speaking specialist is available Monday (9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.) and Friday (12:30 to 3:30 p.m.)
Some of the primary duties and responsibilities are provided below:
Find additional Housing Court Specialists information HERE.
- Operate the Cleveland Housing Court Clinic
- Provide Probation services for the Criminal Court docket
- Determine eligibility for the criminal diversion program (SIP)
- Provide investigative services and reporting for sentencing in criminal cases
- Inform and educate citizens about the Criminal Code Enforcement process
- Provide Mediation services during Civil proceedings
- Inform and educate the community about the Eviction Process & Rent deposits
- Act as a liaison to Utility Companies concerning Shut-Offs
- Educate and assist the community with the Temporary Restraining Order process
- Respond to inquiries from the community via telephone, email and in person
- Community Outreach and collaboration with various agencies